From a very early age, Anita knew that she was going to be an artist. Born and raised in the Philadelphia area, she won a citywide full scholarship to the Philadelphia College of Art (now University of the Arts). She graduated with a major in illustration and painting. Anita worked as an illustrator and a teacher, but for more than 40 years her passion has been painting the colors and light of the ocean and river towns of Pennsylvania and New Jersey. www.anitashrager.com
Anita studied and painted with some of the most renowned artists in the country, including T. M. Nicholas, Kevin McPherson, Will Barnett, and Irby Brown. Her journey brought her to the wonderful art community of New Hope, where she was inspired by the past traditions of the Pennsylvania Impressionists and Western Landscape painters. Her work has received recognition and acclaim, as well as top honors from some of the most esteemed nationwide organizations. For 20 years she was an exhibiting member of the National Arts Club in NYC. Today, she is a member of the Philadelphia Sketch Club.
Preferring to work in oil, Anita specializes in painting landscapes en plein air. She has lived and painted on both sides of the Delaware, many years in NJ and then moving to New Hope. She is happy to be back and painting once again in Bucks County, after two years spent in Denver to be near her family.
Through January, 2017: "Home for the Holidays" - Holiday Open House, Group Exhibition, Silverman Gallery
- Summer 2016: American Summer at the Silverman Gallery
- Summer 2015: The Silverman Gallery at the Pennswood Village Art Gallery, Pennswood Village, Newtown, PA
- October - November, 2014: "Pennsylvania Impressionism, Then and Now" - The Silverman Gallery at Moravian College's beautiful Payne Gallery in Bethlehem, PA. A group exhibition featuring the Payne's fine collection of early Pennsylvania Impressionist art and selected works by seven of the finest artists working today in the tradition of the New Hope School.
- 2014: "Here and There" - Featuring the work of Bucks County favorite, Anita Shrager and Silverman Gallery guest artist, Jean Childs Buzgo. Paintings that bring a welcome sense of "I think I've been there" to the viewer.
- 2014 - New Art, New Artists at the Silverman Gallery
- 2012 - "Images of the Delware River Watershed" Juried Exhibition, Prallsville Mills, Stockton, NJ (President's Choice Medal and 2nd Place awards)
- 2012 - Annual Exhibiton of Small Oil Paintings, Philadelphia Sketch Club (Honorable Mention)
- 2011 - "The Art of the Flower" Philadelphia Sketch Club (Honorable Mention for "Peonies & Iris")
- 2011 - 32nd Annual Juried Art Exhibition, Coryell Gallery/ Lambertville Historical Society
- 2011 - Phillip's Mill Annual Juried Exhibition, New Hope, PA
- 2010 - The 147th Annual Juried Exhibition, Philadelphia Sketch Club (Honorable Mention)
- 2010 - "Reflections of Hunterdon County" - 10th Biennial Juried Exhibition, Sawmill Gallery at Prallsville Mills, Stockton, NJ
- 2010 - 30th Annual Juried Art Exhibition, Coryell Gallery/Lambertville Historical Society
- 2009 - 80th Featured Publicity Image for Annual Juried Art Exhibition, Phillip's Mill
- 2009 - 29th Annual Juried Art Exhibition, Coryell Gallery/Lambertville Historical Society
- 2008 - The 145th Annual Juried Exhibition, Philadelphia Sketch Club (Honorable Mention)
- 2008 - Sabine Rose Gallery's Juried Paint-Out Exhibition Award, Doylestown, PA
- 2007 - Featured Artist "Seasons Captured" Exhibition at Radclyffe Gallery, New Hope PA
- 2006 - Phillip's Mill 77th Annual Juried Exhibition, New Hope, PA (Award for Traditional Oil Painting in the Style of the New Hope School of Impressionism)
- 2005 - Phillip's Mill 76th Annual Juried Exhibition, New Hope, PA (Award for Traditional Oil Painting of the Delaware Valley for "The Old Canal, Lambertville")
- 2004 - Phillip's Mill 75th Annual Juried Exhibition, New Hope, PA (Award for Traditional Oil Painting in the Style of the New Hope School of Impressionism)
A few of Anita's honors include:
- 105th Annual Exhibiting Artists Members Show: The Takayo Noda Award for Excellence in Oil Painting from the National Arts Club, NYC, NY, 2003
- The Grumbacher Gold Medal for Excellence in Oil (National Award), from the National Arts Club, NYC, NY, 1996
- Selected as one of five featured artists in the Central Bucks Chamber of Commerce Artist's Tour
- The Windsor Newtown Gold Medal National Community Arts Association of America, 1995
- Bohler Engineering, NJ
- Nabisco, Hanover, NJ
- Sliffer Design, Edwards, CO
- The Plastic Surgery Center, NJ
Bachelor of FIne Arts Degree in Illustration, Philadelphia College of Art (University of the Arts), Philadelphia, PA.
Awarded Matching Scholarships by the Philadelphia Board of Education.